Fire safety training in different environments in Cardiff, Newport, Bridgend, Swansea and South Wales
The provision of fire safety training which caters for the specific needs of different environments is essential to ensure that working practices and workplace conditions are factored into any fire safety plan.
All businesses are responsible for fire safety within the workplace and a fire risk assessment will assist in highlighting the specific needs and drafting a plan to ensure that safety comes first.
The Fire Practice has excellent experience in providing fire risk assessments and other fire consultancy services in a variety of environments where specific dangers and threats exist. This includes:
- Care Homes – Care homes have specific fire safety needs as a result of the fact that the residents are often elderly or disabled. As a result, their ability to evacuate a building on fire will be dependent in most case on others working within the building. A well documented fire risk assessment and complete training evacuation plan is an essential requirement for all care homes.
- Offices – The main dangers working in an office environment include:
- Small portable heaters left unattended
- Cooking facilities left unattended or used unsafely can lead to a fire.
- Discarded cigarette butts that have not been put out correctly or have been discarded near flammable materials can prompt a fire,
- Electrical fires starting from frayed/damaged wiring, overloaded plug sockets, or faulty equipment.
- Misuse of equipment or appliances.
- The main source of ignition for office fires was due to electrical distribution
- Refuse build-up
- Failure to remove a build-up of cardboard boxes, paper, and other flammable refuse
- Pubs, clubs and other leisure facilities – If you’re responsible for licensed premises there are specific areas of fire safety you need to really pay attention to. This includes cooking and smoking. In pubs and clubs, escape planning is particularly important. Do you know how you would safely and quickly evacuate the building at your busiest time? How would you help customers with mobility issues?
- Warehouses – Distribution and warehouse facilties can vary in size from a small lock up to a massive distribution centre. Many modern distribution centres use technology to assist in the distribution of goods and use purpose built units with state of the art fire protection systems. Fire training in such premises will need to consider the specific working practices within the business. Issues impacting on warehouses include arson, combustible materials, ignition sources and fire protection systems.